Feature request and game discussion
By RealWelders Evgeniy
Excellent comment! Thank you flix92!

This is corresponds absolutely to my intentions )

Even more On the start a player will have enough resources to build the first RWY (it doesn't have sense otherwise). And main challenges will be the constructing other parts of airport. With the airport growth the player will meet that "space&planning" challenge. For development current RWY and for new RWYs. So it will help us to keep difficulty and diversity through whole the gameplay.

I will show the comment to other teammates.
By Bigbigcheese
Will the runway be a ploppable item? Or can we drag out the runway to be the exact size that we want, and aircraft can use it based on whether or not it's long enough or of the right surface type. For example you could make a short but wide runway that can only accept GA and then as you gather more and more funding you can drag out a bit more runway until you can fit 737-600s then a bit more for 757s etc etc.

Alongside this, given the game is 3D will there be differences in terrain height and can the runways be bumpy, like in real life?

Also, I like the idea of runways being life-sized because it adds to the challenge of fitting it all in, and with this idea you can be reeeal creative! A giant 4km square where you can land in any direction dependent on weather? Why not?! Gonna cost you though.

The only issue I can think of is when it comes to runway markings and lighting. Maybe they are "ploppable items" that you place at the start and finish of the part you want to be the actual runway. So you lay out the tarmac and then plop the numbers down and if you can afford it you can put in some fancy ILS or some lights. The game can then calculate the line between the two ends of the markings and draw in the lights by itself, you can then do something similar with taxiways, building the tarmac surface and "painting" the lines on, or something similar to Cities Skylines road building.
By RealWelders Evgeniy
There will be a several defined RWYs - small, medium, big. Or even only small and big.
First of all there is not a lot of sense in having stretchable runway. There are very specific standards for light and heavy aircraft. So it wouldn't big simplification to say small RWY for small and narrow-body(with some exceptions may be) and big for wide-bodies.

Secondly it gives more clear challenge for player. He doesn't need to measure his RWYs, to add extre meters for each new aircraft. Player just have to check if airplane need "small" or "big" RWY.

And the last one (but not the least though) its much cheaper in terms of developing-time. It means that we can make more polished version of the runway.
By Raulmohias
Hi,

You talk about size but, materials? Will you have an option to select grass, concrete, asphalt...?
By RealWelders Evgeniy
Raulmohias wrote:Hi,

You talk about size but, materials? Will you have an option to select grass, concrete, asphalt...?
For now: asphalt for RWY, concrete for an apron. Although could be changed in future.
By AKuzmin
Evgeniy wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:24 pm
Current view of RWY:
Какой длины эта взлётная полоса?
Если 3500м, то разметка должна быть примерно такая:
Я бы предложил такие размеры взлётных полос:
Реальный размер/игровой размер
4000м/2000м
3500м/1750м
2000м/1000м

А так же я бы добавил грунтовые взлётные полосы:
1000м/500м
500м/250м

Например.
В начале игры доступны только грунтовые взлётные полосы.

ENG
What is the length of this runway?
If 3500m, then the markup should be something like this:
[Img] http://i.imgur.com/m53jB83.jpg [/ img]
I would suggest such sizes of take-off strips:
Real size / game size
4000m / 2000m
3500m / 1750m
2000m / 1000m

And I would also add ground runways:
1000m / 500m
500m / 250m

For example.
At the beginning of the game, only ground runways are available.
By RealWelders Evgeniy
For the release version we focus on civil aviation and paved RWYs of several sizes .
By RealWelders Evgeniy
AKuzmin wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:16 pm

I would suggest such sizes of take-off strips:
Real size / game size
4000m / 2000m
3500m / 1750m
2000m / 1000m
This is very close to what we do :)
By maxter
"Generally" runways are proportional to the complexity and activity to be found in the airport.

I would like to see functionality where the runway length can be extended "at a cost of course", but for the sake of the sim, no less than 50% scale length.
By VulcanFox
Really like the design so far and 50% seems good to me. Too short will make it look a bit unrealistic, but realistic lengths isn't good for performance.

Can we get an image with a plane, vehicle and the runway? Important to get the 'full' picture.

Follow the development of Sky Haven!