Feature request and game discussion
By RealWelders Evgeniy
While I am gathering my thoughts about next devblog lets talk runway length.

In real world most of runways (in big airports) have length between 3000 and 4000 meters. It looks like "a little" to much for the game. In terms of game objects: its about 57 B747 (the biggest Jumbo in-game length is 70 meters).

Our work RWY is about 1000 meters at the moment. But it is still looks like too lengthy. On the other hand RWY should be lengthy. One of the challenges is to fit it (and all next) to limited place of game location. Also we need regular and rapid exits, we need space for cool landings and take-off, etc.

How do you think what will be comfort length of RWY for you?

Current view of RWY:
By Ryan
Length needs to be adjustable, maybe from 800 meters to 4,500 meters. or maybe small RWY (1,000 meters), medium RWY (2,500 meters) large RWY (4,000 meters)
By RealWelders Evgeniy
Ryan wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:34 am
Length needs to be adjustable, maybe from 800 meters to 4,500 meters. or maybe small RWY (1,000 meters), medium RWY (2,500 meters) large RWY (4,000 meters)
We off course will have several types of RWY. My point is that real scale is too much and (as in any similar game) we have to reduce it. E.g. 4000 meters RWY will take 2-3 screens on max zoom out at 1920x1080 screen resolution.
By typh9
That's not a simple question. But in my opinion, the RWYs shouldn't be too short. It looks really strange if a plane stops immediately after touchdown or takes off after 50 meters.

Can you upload the picture of your RWY again? The actual link directs me to a "403 Error".
By RealWelders Evgeniy
typh9 wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:49 pm
That's not a simple question. But in my opinion, the RWYs shouldn't be too short. It looks really strange if a plane stops immediately after touchdown or takes off after 50 meters.

Can you upload the picture of your RWY again? The actual link directs me to a "403 Error".
Exactly! Often looks like a bit ridiculous. But on the other hand real proportions make RWY very loooong.
typh9 wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:49 pm
Done (had some troubles with hosting on google drive)
By Ryan
I don't know much about coding, but couldn't you just change the scale so what used to be 3,000 meters is now 4,000 meters of something like that?
By typh9
I fully understand your thoughts. But if realism should be important, the RWYs have to be longer than in other games.

Look at this:

This is MUC with over 42.000.000 PAX per year. So the terminals are not small. But when you compare it to the RWYs, then they look very tiny.

Maybe you could make different restrictions ingame, where you e.g. determine that RWYs can be placed in areas where terminal structures are not allowed. Do you know what i mean?

Edit: I have also another question: Will the game be in 3D or top-down?
By RealWelders Evgeniy
typh9 wrote: Edit: I have also another question: Will the game be in 3D or top-down?
Game will be definitely 3D =)
By flix92
As I said in another game forum:

The difficulty and fun in building an Airport is "space". In RL you do not have a plain big space with no restrictions. You have all sorts of problems regarding finding space to build an efficent Airport. So I would have no problem with a super length runway where I need to scroll a lot. It would only be "useless" to have such a length, when you get a free space, because then it doesnt really matter how you align your runway.

Let me take a extrem example: Image

In Stuttgart, Germany, you have just a little amount of space occupied by terminal or other buildings, a quick bit of space for the apron and one mid-size runway. The Airport is surrounded by highways and community. The challenge would be, how can I optimize this structure, how can I get more PAX here.
Now I know this is a extrem example, but I hope you understand me: This is not terminal simulation, it is a airport sim. And a Airport needs a hugh space for the runway, a lot of apron and taxiway and mostly just a small amount for terminals BECAUSE you need the rest of space for what I said. So pls dont turn it around. Dont give me as a player so much space, that I dont need to think about efficiency.

Follow the development of Sky Haven!